To increase production and health of plants, take some time in the spring to design your ultimate balcony garden.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Use different combinations of container and plant sizes to create visual interest.
- Reduce visual clutter by choosing containers that blend in with the surroundings. Or simply paint your containers to match.
- Layer plants, with taller plants in the back and smaller ones in the front.
- Try vertical garden techniques. Grow up instead of out!
- Hanging baskets and trellises can be used to maximize space.
- If your building allows it, shelves, hooks, brackets and wall-mounted urns are great balcony space savers.