Financial Coordinator – Concordia Greenhouse
Hours: 15 hours/week
Pay rate: $15 /hour
Start Date: August 26th 2013
About the Concordia Greenhouse:
The Concordia Greenhouse Project is based in the rooftop greenhouse of the Henry F. Hall building (13th floor). It is an all-organic space geared towards education and research into urban sustainability, community building and food security. The Greenhouse provides an environment for workshops, volunteer opportunities and community events, and is a springboard for spreading innovative sustainability solutions through popular education initiatives.
We grow food and teas in the greenhouse year-round, and plant and maintain a number of small gardens on the SGW campus during the summer months. In 2011, the greenhouse founded the City Farm School, a practical training program and speaker series on urban agriculture, which is based in the Loyola campus.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Accounting and Financial Management
• General accounting cycle
• Prepare financial statements – quarterly balance sheets and forecasts
• Monitor budget, cash flow and financial reports
• Prepare for external audits and related reports (including internal controls and procedures)
• Payroll, submit timesheets to payroll company
• Prepare year end taxes and declarations
• Maintaining insurance status
Transparency and training
• Strengthen and develop internal financial accountability framework
• Work with project leaders to manage project based finances
• Training for collective members and BOD members on internal accounting procedures
• Investigate options for the sale of produce, teas and plants in Montreal
• Investigate donation based fundraising options
• Assist project leaders in grant-writing process and follow-up
• BOD support and participation in BOD meetings, as needed
In addition, as a collective member of the Greenhouse, the selected candidate will attend collective meetings, contribute to the clean and safe upkeep of the physical Greenhouse space; participate in group decision-making; and contribute to documentation for future holders of this position.
• Experience with computerized accounting software (Quick books, wave accounting)
• Minimum 2 yrs experience accounting practice or equivalent training
• Knowledge of Not-for-Profit financial management
• Adaptability, strong autonomy and excellent teamwork skills
• Ability to work within a non-hierarchical group that practices consensus decision-making.
• Knowledge of urban agriculture, food politics, the sustainable food movement and issues related to food security an asset
• Familiarity with the Concordia Greenhouse Project and the project’s goals an asset
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Strong communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work in a self-directed and dynamic work environment.
• Ability to work efficiently.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will take place Monday August 19th. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.