Thank you so much for supporting the Concordia Greenhouse through out 2018-2019. We hope that you will continue to visit us for the remaining time in 2019, as well as in 2020. To see what we have been up too through out the past year check out our annual report!
Join us on Thursday, November 21st from 6:30-8:30 PM for our 2019 Concordia Greenhouse Annual General Meeting! This year we will be holding our AGM at the Hive Cafe located on the Sir George Williams campus, 2nd floor of the Hall building (1455 Boulevard de Maisonneuve O).
At this meeting, there will be presentations of:
-Financial statements for 2019 and the 2020 budget
-Reports from collective members and working groups
-Elections for the Board of Directors (see the application form below)
-Vote on amendments to the Concordia Greenhouse Constitution
There will be free food, good company, and an opportunity to play an integral part in our organization by becoming a member of our board of directors! We look forward to seeing you there!
BOARD OF DIRECTORS APPLICATION
Our board members have a unique opportunity to help move the mission of the Concordia Greenhouse forward, a hub of urban agriculture activity and projects in the heart of downtown Montreal and a pivotal organization among other in the Concordia community. Take a look at our board application, linked below, and become a part of the dynamic team that runs this special place in the heart of the downtown campus!
Applications must be received by Wednesday, November 20th at 5:00 PM.
Hours: 20 hours/week until end of December 2019, then 25 hrs/week as of Jan 1st 2020
Start date: November 28, 2019
Pay rate: $17/hour
About the Concordia Greenhouse
The Concordia Greenhouse Project is a collectively run, consensus-based, non-profit organization. It uses the Henry H. Hall Building rooftop greenhouse as an all-organic space geared towards community, education and sustainable horticulture. The Greenhouse is a year-round green space that hosts workshops, projects and events raising awareness around food issues and alternatives to mainstream consumerism.
We aspire to strengthen the urban agriculture movement at Concordia University, and in Montreal by growing local produce using ecological practices, providing experiential learning opportunities through volunteering, internships and jobs, and networking with other like-minded individuals and organizations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Accounting and Financial Management
- Manage and oversee general accounting cycle
- Prepare financial statements, trimesterly reports and forecasts
- Monitor budgets, cash flow and financial reports
- Manage and complete deposits, as needed
- Monitor expenses, including replenishing petty cash on a monthly basis
- Strengthen and develop internal financial accountability framework
- Provide financial training for staff/collective members, and board of directors (BOD), as needed
- Support collective members with their budgets, as needed
- Participate in the finance committee
- Report overall financial picture to staff/collective on a monthly basis, or as needed
- Payroll processing
- Review, approve and transmit payroll to external payroll company
- Maintain payroll schedule, according to predetermined pay periods set out by the external payroll company
- Prepare SAGE 50 files and other documents as required for annual financial review, and related reports
- Manage internal controls, related reports and procedures
- Liaise with external accountant and various federal and Quebec agencies, as required
- Prepare documents for year-end reports and declarations
- Liaise with external accountant and government agencies, as required
- Maintain yearly insurance status
- Full-cycle accounting using Sage 50 software
- Code source documents – invoices, receipts and payroll records to the appropriate revenue, expense, asset and liability accounts
- Record transactions in journals and the general ledger for accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Reconcile asset accounts on a monthly basis
- Maintain internal financial records
- Bank statements, internal AG account transaction details and PayPal account
- Manage budgets and cash flow statements, including financial projections
- Prepare trimesterly or quarterly financial reports for staff, and the board of directors
- Annual budget creation
- Facilitate the creation of the annual budget with input from project coordinators
- Propose draft budget for collective and BOD review
- Present budget and financial statements at annual general meeting
- Research and apply for grants relating to programing, infrastructure repairs and other projects, as required
- Support staff and BOD members in fundraising efforts
- Coordinate organization-wide fundraising strategies
Collective Member Duties
- Attend and participate in collective meetings
- Provide regular updates to collective and BOD
- Supervise Greenhouse space during school semester opening hours (at least 1 shift/week)
- Support other staff in the Greenhouse, as needed
- Contribute to maintaining a clean and safe environment
- Contribute to institutional memory and training guidebook by maintaining clear documentation of the position
- Ensure production space is clean, organized and stocked
- Participate in project consultations, as needed
- Minimum 1 year of experience with bookkeeping, payroll, or related fields
- Formal studies in accounting or finance, an asset
- Experience with accounting software (SAGE 50, an asset)
- Proven experience with fundraising and grant-writing
- Knowledge of not-for-profit financial management and structure
- Experience and interest in non-hierarchical group decision-making and governance
- Bilingualism (English/French), an asset
- Familiarity with the Concordia Greenhouse and the organization’s mission and mandate
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate complex financial information in easy-to-understand language
- Detail-oriented, professional and punctual
- Ability to work efficiently in a self-directed and dynamic work environment
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to our hiring committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by, November 22nd 2019 midnight. Please note that only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will take place on November 25, 2019 . The selected candidate will be expected to begin training the week of November 28, 2019.
The Concordia Greenhouse recognizes and welcomes the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization. We encourage, among others, Indigenous people, people of colour, disabled people, people identifying as LGBTQIP2SAA, women, formerly incarcerated or institutionalized people, immigrants and people from working class backgrounds to apply. We also understand that applicants may experience a number of these identities simultaneously in ways that reinforce and nuance their experience. We are committed to creating an organization as diverse as the communities we serve.
Please indicate clearly in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for Employment Equity by including the phrase “I would like to be considered for Employment Equity”. Please note you do not need to disclose your reasons for applying for Employment Equity.
The Concordia Greenhouse re-opens its doors this September 3rd, our atrium space and herbal tea kitchenette is accessible to students and the public from 11am-5pm, Monday-Friday during the academic year between September 3, 2019 – April 9, 2020.
The greenhouse will be hosting an opt-out period from Tuesday, September 17th to Monday, September 30th, along with other Fee Levy groups on campus.
To find out more why Fee Levy groups exist at Concordia, please visit: http://concordiacommunity.org/
How to opt-out: You can opt-out at the greenhouse during the week between 11am-5pm by appointment by contacting Andrea Reichert at email@example.com, or Paul Fournier at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment during the period of Sept. 17th-Sept. 30th inclusively. Please note, availabilities for appointments are limited, so email least 3 days in advance of your requested visit. If the appointment is a no-show by the person requesting the opt-out, another appointment will not be prioritized for that person. For the Concordia Greenhouse, the Undergraduate Fee Levy paid by undergraduate students is 0.24$/credit. You must bring your student ID card and student account record (you can show your up-to-date number of credits on your myconcordia.ca account via your laptop or mobile device; by using a computer on-site at the fee levy group; or, if you wish, by print out).
While all of the fee levy groups are working to ensure that students wishing to opt-out may do so, fee levy group staff and volunteers will not tolerate disrespectful treatment from students who are opting-out. This includes, but is not limited to, racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, and classist, or aggressive or inappropriate behaviour or comments and actions at any time, and they will be asked to leave the premises.
Members of the greenhouse hope that we can all collaborate together to make Concordia more accessible, and the greenhouse has been working to get its major renovations to make it a safe, functional and truly accessible space for years to come, and truly hopes that students, professors, staff and the public will support us in our efforts to become a more inclusive and accessible, research-focused and publicly-relevant space.
The Common Opt–Out Events (with many fee-levy groups present at once in one location) will be on Wednesday September 18th downtown on the SGW campus, and Thursday September 26th at Loyola campus. Further details on times and locations will be posted on the concordiacommunity.org website.
(Pour le français, voir ci-dessous) See the May Seedling Sale event on Facebook!
🌿 The City Farm School students have been at it again! Starting from scratch they have been seeding, watering, growing and adoring more than 7000 baby seedlings getting them ready for you and your garden. And as usual, diversity is our strength! We are offering more than 70 different vegetable varieties, so don’t miss out on your chance to get some the city’s best loved, local, organic and affordable seedlings. 🌿
🌱 City Farm School Plant List – prices range from $2 – $5 🌱
Varieties of: eggplant, swiss chard, broccoli, ground cherries, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrabi, kale, onion, hot pepper, sweet pepper, tomatoes, tomatillos, cucumbers, melons, pumpkin, winter squash, summer squash, AND for herbs and medicinals: basil, savory, parsely, sage, rosemary, calendula, St. John’s Wort, skullcap, agastache, motherwort, holy basil, ashwaganda (limited), and chia (limited).
DOWNLOAD THE CITY FARM SCHOOL SEEDLING LIST FOR 2019 HERE
🌱 Neumark Design – prices + plant list will be posted shortly! 🌱 Follow on Facebook!
2019 MAY SEEDLING SALE HOURS
Friday, May 17th: 11:00am-7:00pm
Saturday, May 18th: 12:00-4:00pm
Sunday, May 19th: 12:00-4:00pm
*It is CASH only for the seedlings sold by the greenhouse. Neumark Design has credit, debit and interac email transfer payment options available.
*Bring boxes, bags, a cart or a friend to help you carry your seedlings home.
*Please note we do not sell seedlings other than during our sale each May.
*Please note that there may be long lines as this event has become very popular!
LOCATION: The Concordia Greenhouse is located on the 13th floor rooftop of the south-west corner of the Henry F. Hall building, located at 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W. in downtown Montreal, Québec.
DIRECTIONS: To get there, on the first floor take the elevators located in the back right corner under the large stairwell to the 12th floor. Alternatively, you can take the escalators up to the 12th floor. From there, follow the signs for the Concordia Greenhouse in the hallway to stairwell #1285 and take two sets of stairs up to the 13th floor.
ACCESSIBILITY: We regret that the Concordia Greenhouse will not be wheelchair accessible during the May Seedling Sale due to limited space for navigation within the premises due to large crowds and obstructions in the hallway.
Washrooms are located on the 12th floor (look for signs). Individual use/gender-neutral washrooms for public access are located on the 1st floor (H-001.04).
TERRITORIAL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: The Concordia Greenhouse is located on unceded Indigenous lands. The Kanien’kehá:ka Nation is recognized as the custodians of the lands and waters on which we gather today. Tiohtiá:ke/Montreal is historically known as a gathering place for many First Nations. Today, it is home to a diverse population of Indigenous and other peoples. We respect the continued connections with the past, present and future in our ongoing relationships with Indigenous and other peoples within the Montreal community.
🌿 Les étudiants de City Farm School ont été à nouveau à l’œuvre! Depuis le début, ils ensemencent, arrosent, grandissent et adorent plus de 7 000 jeunes pousses et les préparent pour vous et votre jardin. Et comme d’habitude, la diversité est notre force ! Offrant plus de 70 variétés de légumes, alors, ne manquez pas votre chance de vous procurer les semis les plus appréciés, locaux, biologiques et abordables de la ville. 🌿
🌱 City Farm School Liste des plantes – des prix $2 – $5 🌱
Variétés de: aubergine, bette à carde, brocoli, cerises de terre, choux bruxelles, chou, chou-fleur, chou-rave, chou frisé/kale, oignon (limité), piment, poivrons, tomates, tomatillos, concombres, melons, citrouille, courge d’été, courge d’hiver.
Fleurs, fins herbes et plantes médicinales: basilic, sarriette, parsely, sauge (limité), romarin (limité), calendula, millepertuis, calotte, agastache (limité), motherwort, basilic sacré, ashwaganda (limité) et chia (limité).
TÉLÉCHARGEZ NOTRE LISTE DES VARIÉTÉS – CITY FARM SCHOOL 2019
🌱 Neumark Design – Liste des plantes sera bientôt disponible! 🌱 Suivez sur Facebook!
2019 HEURES DE VENTE
Vendredi 17 mai: 11h-19h
Samedi 18 mai: 12h-16h
Dimanche 19 mai: 12h-16h
*L’argent est accepté pour les plants vendus par la serre. Neumark Designz propose des options de carte de crédit, de carte de débit et de transfert d’argent par courrier électronique Interac.
*S’il vous plaît noter que nous ne vendons pas de plants autres que lors de notre vente chaque mai.
*Apportez des boîtes, des sacs, un chariot ou un ami pour vous aider à transporter vos semis chez vous!
*Veuillez noter qu’il peut y avoir de longues files d’attente car cet événement est devenu très populaire!
SITUÉ: La serre Concordia est située sur le toit du 13e étage de l’angle sud-ouest de l’édifice Henry F. Hall, situé au 1455, boulevard de Maisonneuve Ouest, au centre-ville de Montréal, Québec.
DIRECTIONS: Pour y arriver, au premier étage, prenez les ascenseurs situés dans le coin arrière droit sous la grande cage d’escalier jusqu’au 12ème étage. Alternativement, vous pouvez prendre les escaliers mécaniques jusqu’au 12ème étage. De là, suivez les panneaux indiquant Concordia Greenhouse dans le couloir menant à la cage d’escalier n ° 1285, et empruntez deux escaliers jusqu’au 13e étage.
ACCESSIBILITÉ: Nous regrettons que la serre Concordia ne soit pas accessible en fauteuil roulant lors de la vente des semences de mai, en raison du manque d’espace pour la navigation dans les locaux en raison du grand nombre de personnes et des obstacles dans le couloir.
Les toilettes sont situées au 12ème étage (recherchez les signes). Les toilettes à usage individuel / sans distinction de sexe pour le public sont situées au 1er étage (H-001.04).
RECONNAISSANCE TERRITORIALE: La serre Concordia est située sur des terres autochtones non cédées. La nation Kanien’kehá: ka est reconnue comme la gardienne des terres et des eaux sur lesquelles nous nous réunissons aujourd’hui. Tiohtiá: ke / Montréal est historiquement reconnue comme un lieu de rassemblement pour de nombreuses Premières nations. Aujourd’hui, il abrite une population diversifiée d’Autochtones et d’autres peuples. Nous respectons les liens continus avec le passé, le présent et l’avenir dans nos relations suivies avec les peuples autochtones et les autres peuples de la communauté Montréalaise.
COME CHECK OUT OUR HOTTEST EVENT OF THE YEAR THAT YOU CANNOT MISS….
OUR EPIC PLANT SALE IS BACK AT THE GREENHOUSE!
1) WE ARE ACCEPTING CASH ONLY for the Greenhouse’s plants; However, Neumark Design and HydroFlora Concordia will be accepting Interac/Credit transactions.
2) BRING YOUR OWN PACKAGING to transport your plants!
It’s important in cold weather that plants are well protected from the cold so that they do not get frost damage. We recommend you bring both a BOX or tray to easily carry your plants and PLASTIC BAGS to wrap your plants with.
3) WAIT TIMES AND LINEUPS may be long, so try to come early. We have attempted to spread out traffic by offering longer hours than in the past. We suggest that you bring a snack and/or a book with you. At 12:00 pm we will open the doors, but the Greenhouse will be closed before and after the sale.
These are the rates being offered by each group during the sale:
The Concordia Greenhouse: $4 – $40
Neumark Design: $6 – $65
HydroFlora Concordia: $10 – $80
Plant lists and any other updates will also appear in the event description and discussion section of the Facebook event page!
The Concordia Greenhouse is located on the northwest corner of the 13th floor of the Henry F. Hall building, 1455 de Maisonneuve West. To get here, go to the 12th floor and follow the signs in the hallways to stairwell # 1285. For the Plant Sale event only, we regret that the Concordia Greenhouse will not be wheelchair accessible due to limited space to navigate within the premises. Normally, we invite those who require wheelechair access to please contact us in advance of your visit at email@example.com, as there is a mechanical elevator that goes to the 13th floor.
For Media inquiries, please contact Megan Mericle at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Concordia is located on unceded Kanien’kehá:ka traditional territory.
Concordia est situé dans le territoire traditionnel non cédé de Kanien’kehá:ka.