The Concordia Greenhouse’s mission is to provide a year-round, all organic green space that fosters community, provides experiential learning opportunities and grows healthy stuff. It is a collectively run, consensus-based, non-profit organization situated in the Henry H. Hall Building rooftop greenhouse. This green space hosts workshops, projects and events raising awareness around food issues and alternatives to mainstream consumerism. We aspire to strengthen the urban agriculture movement at Concordia University and in Montreal by growing local produce using ecological practices, providing experiential learning opportunities through volunteering, internships and jobs, and networking with other like-minded individuals and organizations.
What does the Board of Directors do?
Being a member of the Board of Directors (BoD) is an excellent way to be more involved in the shaping of the Greenhouse activities and gain valuable experience working and collaborating within a non-profit organization!
It means you will be responsible for working with the other board members and the collective to make some high-level decisions about finances, governance, policy and future projects. Board members help guide and maintain the vision of the organization by supporting staff members while they fulfill the day to day operations and providing structure and perspective to the larger function.
What’s required of you as a board member?
Time commitments can vary, and are mostly dependent on events and your own personal capacity. The initial orientation phase requires all new board members to attend an 8 hour orientation session to be held at the beginning of your term (often held over 2 days). In general otherwise, you can expect to contribute between 5 and 10 hours per month on basic Board member duties. There always more opportunities to contribute in the form of outreach, volunteering, special projects and committees to further benefit the Greenhouse, as well!
What is the process of becoming a Concordia Greenhouse Board member?
1. Individuals can contact the Concordia Greenhouse before the deadline and submit their application along with any questions you may have. [See below]
2. It will be posted on the Concordia Greenhouse website and attached to the newsletter. Please make sure your statement contains only information that you are comfortable to share publicly.
3. The current Concordia Greenhouse board members will review the applications, and will contact you to confirm your candidacy and invite you to speak at the Annual General Meeting (AGM), and at that time answer questions you may have about your potential involvement.
4. Successful candidates must attend the Concordia Greenhouse’s AGM, where they will be asked to briefly present themselves in 1 minute or less (candidate’s statements will be projected on the screen during this time).
5. The Concordia Greenhouse’s membership elects new board members at the AGM.
Please download and complete our Greenhouse Board of Directors Application 2018-19 PDF and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm (EST) on Friday, November 23rd, 2018.