Greenhouse Asssistant – Terra Perma/Neumark Designs
Work at Neumark Designs at Terra Perma this fall!
We are seeking a Greenhouse assistant for a seasonal position.
Re-potting, cuttings, plant maintenance, harvesting and seasonal tasks
Full-time seasonal (6 weeks with possibility of continuation: August – October)
40+ hours weekly
$12.00/hourly starting immediately
-Experience with plant care (nursery, ecological vegetable gardening, horticulture, landscaping, propagation)
Live on site!
On-site tent camping – shared community kitchen in the greenhouse, electricity and running water.
Contact Jonah 514-269-2758 – NeumarkDesign@gmail.com
218 Chemin White
Harrington, QC J8G 2T3
‘Green’ Animator-Curator at Westmount Park United Church
10 hours per week, starting Fall 2017
We are seeking:
– a bilingual, experienced educator,
– with knowledge of plant care and ecology
– comfortable working with all ages,
– interested in developing an informal educational space in the church
Visit westmountparkuc.org/job-description for more details.
Current CV and 2 references required.
Interviews: 21 September 2017
Marche Sainte-Anne is looking for a new Market Coordinator
Position: Marché Ste-Anne Market Coordinator – Coordinateur(trice) pour le marché
Organization: Marché Sainte-Anne
Location: Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Ile de Montreal / West Island, Quebec
The Market Coordinator is a part time position (20 to 25 hours per week depending on qualifications) with the primary responsibility being the day-to-day operation of the Saturday farmers’ market, outside during the summer market and inside during the winter market. The market coordinator is expected to be present for all market hours and be dedicated to the market (cannot operate a personal market stall). There is also additional off-site work during non-market hours.
The Coordinator reports to a board of directors at monthly meetings. The board sets all market policy in collaboration with the coordinator. In addition, the Coordinator will represent the market to the market’s vendors, the consumers, the town authorities, and to the community.
The search for this position will end September 15, 2017
The position pays $15/hour or commensurate with experience
The position starts with 5 hours/week October 2 and 9th for training with the outgoing manager and the full position starts October 16th.
Applicants should send their cover letter and CV to:
SAF is hiring: Board Meeting Facilitator
Monday, September 4
Sustainability Action Fund Concordia
2090 Mackay Room 204
Start date: week of September 18th 2017
Term: 1 year
Hours: approximately 5 hours/month
Remuneration: $1200 CAD annually
Application deadline: September 4th, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Please submit a cover letter and CV in one PDF file to Nadra Wagdy at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Board Meeting Facilitator shall:
– Have a working knowledge of Robert’s Rules of Order and see that these are respected at all meetings
– Chair all regular, special, and general meetings
– Work in collaboration with the CEO to determine the best date for monthly meetings based on the board’s availability
– Prepare the agenda meetings in consultation with Management and the Chairperson, and forward it to members 7 days prior to –
– Board meetings, along with relevant documents
– Conduct meetings in an unbiased and nonpartisan manner
– Oversee and facilitate the Bi-Proxy voting of motions
– Administer the attendance record of Board Members and inform them of their attendance record, as well as provide the attendance record to the Chairperson upon request
– In the event of a vacancy in the position of Board Facilitator, the Chairperson shall see to the carrying out of the duties of the Board Facilitator
– Working knowledge of Robert’s rules of Order
– Previous facilitation experience
– Excellent time management and organizational skills
– Interest and knowledge of sustainability issues
– Experience with Concordia Student Groups, an asset
NDG Food Depot
Garden Instructor for Children
The Dish Project Concordia
The Dish Project is looking for volunteers for the upcoming semester! Our work focuses on reducing waste in and around Concordia University by providing support and reusable dishes as a free and accessible alternative to disposable items at events, meetings, and other gatherings. We also focus on exploring, understanding, and educating our community with regard to waste justice issues and waste reduction. Volunteers play a key role in the smooth, day-to-day operations of the Dish Project, as the project is largely volunteer run. Volunteers prepare dish orders, organize the dish room, and handle the pick-ups and drop-offs of orders. In addition, they take part in other aspects of the project including outreach, event planning, and finances. For more information or to get involved, email us at email@example.com
Living Soils Symposium
Volunteer with your local ECO-QUARTIERS
Get involved with your local eco-quartier! There are always lots of interesting volunteer opportunities in the summer. Plus, they often have free give-aways and discounts for ecological products.
Volunteer with Campus Potager
Come volunteer with Campus Potager, the student initiative responsible for revitalizing underutilized downtown spaces into vibrant, edible gardens! People of all ages, experiences, and disciplines are welcome! To get even more involved, come to our weekly meetings (dates/times posted on Facebook page) to meet the team and find your niche.
For more information, request to join our Facebook group Campus Potager Volunteers or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer with Santropol Roulant
The Roulant is many things, including a community of thousands of passionate volunteers that make social change possible. It’s folks like you that nourish us and contribute to an amazing intergenerational community. Above all, we’re a place of learning and interacting, which means that all levels of experience and knowledge are welcome.
Whether you are someone who wants to get more involved in your community, a student who needs to do volunteer hours, part of a work reintegration program, or need to do community service hours, you are welcome at the Roulant!
Here is a list of our various activities.
Volunteer with Urban Seedling
We are looking for passionate gardeners to come and get your hands dirty in the greenhouse and our demonstration gardens.
If you want to swing by for an hour and see what needs to be done that day or drop by over your lunch break and weed the garden, no problem! Give us a call and swing by whenever you get the chance.
If you have more time to spare we have started the “Urban Seedling Dollar” exchange. It requires a 3 hour minimum per session, but you can stay as long as you’d like. These hours will give you “Urban Seedling Dollars” that you can spend in our garden centre and greenhouse.
The greenhouse work starts in April and involves help with transplanting, fertilizing and pest management as well as general help around our gardens, greenhouse and garden centre.
If you are interested in helping out please contact Urban Seedling at the address below. Include your name, phone number, experience and what level of volunteering you are interested in as well as an idea of what dates you are available for. We will call you for a short phone interview to make sure your skills are put to the best use.
Agriculture Internship 2017 (From 1 – 5 months)
Neumark Design & Terra Perma Permaculture
If you are looking for experience with permaculture and organic agriculture, this is a great opportunity for you! The internships focus on working with plants in the landscape in a creative and artistic way, and will consist mostly of hands-on learning. In addition, you will also be participating in the development of Terra Perma, an innovative residential and eco-entrepreneur community that follows permacultural principles.
- You will be contributing to the expansion, development, and maintenance of our gardens and permaculture projects.
- The internships run from May 16 to October 16, 2017. The dates are very flexible, but a minimum of 1 month is required. Please indicate your availability in your application.
- You will work and learn 5 days a week. Our typical day begins at 8:00 am and goes until 5:00 pm. We do take long lunch breaks and often go for a swim in the lake.
- This internship is part of the larger Terra Perma community. Although you will be working primarily with Jonah Neumark, you will occasionally be asked to help out with group activities such as workshops and events, and work with other members of the Terra Perma team.
- Bi-weekly progress reports will ensure that you are learning and gaining as much from the experience as possible.
- While working on this project, you will have access to our 850-acre site, and you will be able to swim and canoe in our private lake and explore the beautiful forested surroundings.
- You will be provided with a wooden platform to pitch a tent (we can provide the tent)in a private area. You will also have access to an enclosed outdoor kitchen, including dishes, cookware, BBQ, and fire pit; the outdoor toilets and the hot compost shower.
- Successful candidates will also receive a $300 monthly stipend for their work.
We accept volunteers on a regular basis. If you want to come just for a day and help out you are definitely welcome. Contact me and let me know when you are interested in coming and what your interests are.
We ask for a minimum of 1 week for woofing, as it takes some time to get settled in and familiar with Terra Perma. We offer camping accommodations, and will pay for your food. We can also arrange transport to and from Terra Perma. Please contact me if you are interested in woofing in our gardens.
Go Wwoofing 2017
What: Work-stay positions with food, accommodations, hands-on learning — live and learn on homesteads, gardens & farms — volunteer
Why: Healthy outdoor work on organic family farms, learn to garden or farm, healthy lifestyle, self-sufficient living, responsible travel
Where: 70 countries — 600 locations in Canada alone
Who: all ages and levels of experience
When: spring, summer or fall (some hosts also welcome Wwoofers in winter)
Duration: negotiable — a few days, weeks or a whole season
Cost: Canadian membership is $40 to $50 per year
What in the world is Wwoofing?
WWOOF is an international network of organic farms, gardens and businesses where you can stay and receive food, accommodation and training in return for your help and participation. No experience is required, although any skills you have can be put to good use. There are about 600 locations in Canada alone — plus 70 other countries around the world.
Get started: WWOOF Canada | Other Wwoof Organizations Worldwide | WWOOF (wikipedia) “World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms”
JOBS, INTERNSHIPS & APPRENTICESHIPS
in local/organic/sustainable food, farming, agriculture
FoodWork.ca – work in healthy, local and sustainable foood (Canada) http://www.FoodWork.ca
FoodWork – work in nature, environment and sustainability (Canada) http://www.FoodWork.ca
CRAFT Farmer Training (Ontario) http://www.CraftOntario.ca
SOIL – Sustainable Farming Apprenticeship Program (Canada) http://www.SoilApprenticeships.com
Young Agrarians – network for new and young ecological and organic farmers (Canada) youngagrarians.org
Grow a Farmer Apprenticeship Program (Maritimes / Atlantic Canada) www.GrowaFarmer.ca/apprenticeship/ | http://www.AcornOrganic.org